I’ve been dying to make gula melaka & coconut milk jelly ever since I got to taste it from one made by my ex-roommate. Only recently I chance upon the recipe for this jelly. So what else? I immediately try it.
500ml (2 cups) water
180g (1 1/4 cups) gula Melaka, chopped roughly
3 teaspoons agar powder
1 pandan leaf, tied into a knot
300ml (1 1/4 cups) thick coconut milk
pinch of salt
1. Place water, gula Melaka, agar powder and pandan leaf into a pan and bring it to a boil.
2. Lower heat and simmer until agar powder is completely dissolves.
3. Remove pandan leaf.
4. Add a pinch of salt to coconut milk and pour it into the same pan.
5. Bring it to a boil and immediately remove from heat.
6. Pour jelly into a glass bowl or cake tin.
7. Leave jelly to cool and then chill in the refrigerator.
8. The jelly should separate nicely into 2 layers – a clear gula Melaka layer on the bottom and a coconut layer on top.
Here’s the result. Compare it with the photo from cookbook.
My mom sapu’ed’ most of the jelly. It was quite sweet actually.
Can anyone tell me why my coconut milk layer is so thin and dark in color? Like that no syiok to eat la.