Lifestyle

Growing Avocado Trees From Seeds

I mentioned about sharing my experience on growing avocado trees from seeds back in June in my growing vegetables & fruits from kitchen scraps post. So here it is, nearly 3 months later. Although not much I’ve gain in terms of experience except to see my beloved avocado trees growing bigger and stronger.

Before I divulge more, let me tell you the story on how it got started.

Back around Feb-Mar this year, my sis attempted growing avocado with this peculiar technique of poking the seed with toothpicks and let it half-submerged in a glass of water. If you google ‘grow avocado’, you’ll see many search results using this method. My sis’ attempt was a failure. Nothing grew.

So I told her why not just plant the seed directly to the soil? The most straight forward method. Hah! She followed my advice and wah la…

Precious!!!

Getting taller.

The first leaf.

More leaves!

It grew even more and then started to wilt. All this happened in a shady area (car porch). I moved it to full sunshine at its later wilting stage but it was too late. So there goes our first ever avocado plant from seed.

After witnessing this sort of miracle, do you think I’ll just stop? Nope, I planted even more avocado seeds.

Growing Avocado Trees From Seeds
The avocado seed will crack and sprout will emerge from the center.

Growing Avocado Trees From Seeds
Of course not every case is the same (example left photo).

Growing Avocado Trees From Seeds
Planted four avocado seeds and only three sprouting. Of course it’s never a 100% success thing when it comes to gardening but this is good enough. Don’t you think so?

I bought and ate couple of avocados varieties and simply planted the seeds afterward. So far I’ve seen two distinguished types based on the leaves shapes.

The questions some of us have been asking about growing avocado trees:

1. Can we grow avocado in Malaysia?
The answer is a big YES!!! But I cannot guarantee it will bear fruits (since I’ve not proven it yet).

2. What are the ways to obtain an avocado tree?
If you know someone with an avocado tree, you can propagate it by grafting. This is the best way for the avocado tree to bear fruits (though I don’t know why).

If you’re like me (a big fan of avocado) but has no way of getting/buying an avocado tree, try planting it yourself using the leftover seeds because you’ll surely be eating lots of avocados, right?

Do know that for your avocado tree to bear fruits is pretty slim if you only have one avocado tree. This is because ‘most of the time’ they can’t really self-pollinate (unless you’re REALLY REALLY lucky). They have this male and female flower phases which bloom at different time/day and also depends which cultivars (types) your avocado tree belongs to. So to increase the chances of my avocado trees bearing fruits I’m planting lots of avocados trees. πŸ™‚

Even if my avocado trees are not able to produce fruits, I’m still okay with it. They make lovely indoor and outdoor plants. And it will reminds me always of what miracle is made of – BELIEVE!

Growing Avocado Trees From Seeds

3. How long does it takes for the avocado trees to bear fruits?
Some say 5 years and some say it can take as long as 10. So we’ll see. Haha

4. How to plant avocado trees from seeds?
Remove the seed from avocado and wash the seed (to remove those slimy/fleshy bits). Take note which side of the seed is top and bottom. Usually the bottom is the fat part. If the seed is perfectly round, then you would have to take a guess. Now place the avocado seed into the soil halfway down with the bottom part in the dirt and top part visible from the soil. And then water everyday and pray. πŸ™‚

Writing this, I suddenly have a question of my own. Why do I need to place the seed halfway down? Why not plant the whole seed in the soil? Hahaha I cannot answer this except that I follow the half-submerge rule from the peculiar method my sis used and also based on the photos I’ve seen in the web. I will experiment on putting the whole seed in the soil and see if it will sprout (will update here). I suspect it would still sprout. We’ll see.

Hey you sexy thing!

I usually plant the seeds in a pot at my car porch (shaded area). Once it has grow bigger, I transfer it outside (full sun) to the largest pot I have. Wish I have an outdoor garden. Alas all I have is outdoor concrete πŸ™ which I lined with long two rows of potted plants. :)✌️

I water the avocado tree once a day. If it gets too dry, twice a day and if it rains, I don’t water at all. I use organic compost soil (loose) and also some on very dense soil. Avocado plants grow better in loose soil. As for dense soil, I’ve some that made it and some just stuck at the same size.

These are my two largest avocado trees to-date:

Growing Avocado Trees From Seeds

Update: April 2017
Avocado Tree
Here’s my almost 1 year old avocado tree. Its baby photo is the picture before this. I shifted this plant into a larger pot and moved it to my back house.

Pretty neat, huh?

I’ve also planted some at the joint-neighbor garden plot and they don’t seems to grow bigger (due to compact/unsuitable soil). Think I will have to put new soil in there. Hmm…

Ok that’s it for now. Till my next avocado post once it starts to flower (about 5 years from now?) πŸ˜›

• Reply foongpc September 15, 2016 at 2:04 am

Wow! You did it!! Let me know if your avocado trees bear fruits πŸ™‚

• Reply Che-Cheh September 15, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Hi Foong, yup I did it πŸ™‚ Sure will let you know but it’ll be many years later.

• Reply Joanne September 20, 2016 at 9:59 pm

My teacher once told me that he has an avocado tree in his garden and bears fruits for him to eat as he has heart problem. (In K.L)
    So all the best to you and your plants!

• Reply Che-Cheh September 21, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Hi Joanne, thank you so much. May my avocado trees grow up well and strong. πŸ™‚

• Reply Dawn September 22, 2016 at 12:48 am

Awesome! I was told avocado trees needs a lot of space to grow. Pray pray it will flower down the years and bear fruits….save so much $$. Over here the cheapest on sale at Walmart for 88cents. If it’s not on sale $1.18. And also the fruits are not that fantastic either because of the drought in Mexico.

• Reply Che-Cheh September 22, 2016 at 11:01 am

Hi Dawn, ya I think they’ll grow as big as mango trees. I’ve seen some bush-sized avocado trees bearing fruits (online) so I have BIG hope. Hehe My latest avocados purchase also not that good. Most ripe ones has brownish flesh.

• Reply jerry April 17, 2017 at 3:00 pm

How’s your tree growing?
    I too have just planted one, and its about 2 ft tall now.
    Can’t wait till it fruits…. !

• Reply Che-Cheh April 18, 2017 at 2:37 pm

Hi Jerry, they are growing up ok. Not bushy… I guess that’s the con of planting in pot. I have an updated picture in this post. Scroll up to see it. Try to plant another one or two more to have higher chances of getting fruits… unless if yours is grafted then okla.

• Reply Eric Fang June 21, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Wow avocado from seed. The last time my neighbour plant on ground and it took her 15 years to bear fruits. It fruit less than 10 fruit a year and its not edible (too hard). They rather bought it from shop.

If possible and really interested please get a grafted plant. You only need to wait 2 to 3 years before it fruit plenty and large size. These trees are plenty in thailand, so do arrange your nursery to import some for you.

Cheers and happy planting.

• Reply Che-Cheh June 22, 2017 at 2:23 am

Hi Eric, I will get a grafted avocado plant if I ever have the chance but I won’t go into importing them as this is just a hobby. Growing avocado from seed on the other hand is really exciting. That feeling of seeing ’em sprout, getting bigger and taller and eventually & hopefully bear fruits. I don’t mind waiting over a decade. Haha

• Reply Eric Fang June 21, 2017 at 12:26 pm

By the way the grafted plant could bear fruit just like any 5 footer potted mango trees. And on ground grafted plant grow like a longan trees. Planting from seed you could see it grow like 2 storey before it start fruiting. That is what I witness before although sometime your garden and nurturing technique does make a lot of differences and turn out brilliant.

• Reply Che-Cheh June 22, 2017 at 2:26 am

Unfortunately I don’t have a large enough garden to grow them on the ground. They are all potted and I trim and feed them with yummy DIY feeds. Hopefully they feel the love and will grow up (mature) faster.

• Reply Bob Lim October 31, 2017 at 12:39 am

I just planted a few seeds from big avocado bought from Sandakan 80%. My friend got a better bigger variety more fleshy and smaller. Follow Eric Fang advice-waiting to budgraft it. Maybe worth to buy some Thai Avocado fruits eat them and plant the seeds or just buy the bud grafted seedlings, from what i gather from you all i have to prepare the soil in my vege plot which is too hard and laterite clay. Should be well drained soil sandy loam?

• Reply Che-Cheh November 2, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Hi Bob, This year I sprouted couple of avocado plants from seeds which I got from US. The fruits are really creamy. I think weather plays a big part. I’m not sure what soil is the best. I use organic compost soil + laterite.