Why is optimizing images for web important? Because images/sites will load faster and thus keeping your readers happy. You don’t want to keep your readers waiting right? A happy reader will return to your site again and again. 🙂
I use Photoshop to edit and resize images. Even then my images from as early as 2010 were quite large in sizes. Was a clueless blogger ma. Hehehe.
Below are the 2 methods I use to optimize images using Photoshop.
Method 1: Reduce quality
1. After resizing your image, click File → Save As.
2. Type the desired file name and click Save.
3. ‘JPEG Options’ will pop out. I usually go for 8, High. Click OK.
Method 2: Save for Web & Devices
1. After resizing your image, click File → Save for Web & Devices (Alt+Shift+Ctrl+S).
2. Select JPG. You can play with the setting if you want. I usually leave it as it is.
3. Type the desired file name and click Save.
For the above puppy image (600 x 402), image size for method 1 = 60.9k, image size for method 2 = 17.3k.
I use method 1 the most until recently I changed to method 2 as I found the latter is better as the image size is even smaller and the quality of the image can still be maintained as method 1.