22nd April 2007 is Earth Day. Let’s take this opportunity and ponder what you can do to help our ailing earth.
Look around you. Can you sense what have changed in the past decade and today? 10 years ago I can feel the morning coldness every time I leave for school. Today? I can only feel a ‘fairly cold’ morning.
Today, there are more people suffering from hunger, disease, drought, flood, etc. Why? because our climate is changing for the worst! The year 2000 and beyond recorded the highest temperature in many areas. Thousand of people had died from heat wave. Our sea is getting warmer too and that enhance the melting of the Arctic and Antarctica ice shelves. Not only are the large ice blocks a habitat for the likes of polar bears and penguins, the ice blocks also work as a shield to lower the earth temperature.
All the consequences I mentioned above are duly due to global warming. If you have a chance to get hold of An Inconvenient Truth DVD, watch it. Yeah this documentary is no longer showing in Malaysia’s cinema. There are 2 areas in the documentary that touched my heart.
1. The part where an animated polar bear swims for miles to search for a place to live.
2. The staggering thinning of snowcapped mountains and glaciers around the world.
I prefer and would like to suggest to you to watch climate change related documentary from National Geographic and BBC. They’re more significant. Please search the World Wide Web for climate change/global warming/greenhouse effect related articles and read on it.
Start learning and utilize what you have learn about climate change to save our earth. What you do today might not affect you, but it will affect the future of your children and your children’s children.
Save The Earth Task #1: Say NO to plastic bags.
– Normal plastic bags are made of polyethylene that can take up to 1,000 years to biodegrade and they emit greenhouse gases.
– Bring your own ‘Green’ cloth bag or biodegradable plastic bags when you shop.
– Stores that utilize biodegradable plastic bags are Jaya Jusco and Ikea. If you know any other please share with us.
– Don’t be embarrass. The first step is always the hardest.