Entertainment

The Amazing Race Asia Season 1 Winner

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 🎉
We have the official winner for Season 1 TARA and they are non other than *drum roll please Joe Jer and Zabrina! Congrats GIRLS!!! You do us all Malaysian very proud.

Not only are they the first Malaysian team to win the first ever Amazing Race Asia show, they are also the first female team in the entire Amazing Race (including US) reality show to won the race. And with that they are US100,000 richer. (how come not US$1 million?)

Second place winner, Sandy and Francesca from Hong Kong came very close to winning it. Just by less than 5 minutes maybe. A consolation third place went to Andrew and Syeon also from Malaysia. Awww I guess buying the wrong guide map and not hiring a cab to guide them is their biggest lost. I wonder why team Joe Jer and Zabrina suddenly got so smart while team Andrew and Syeon… (speechless)

I have more or less ‘figured out’ the winner of the show even before the last race started because Cabio, another TARA/TAR fanatic gave out a clue at the TARA forum about what Allan described regarding the winner. He said “underdogs win”.

Well I gotta said that I’ve enjoyed TARA Season 1 tremendously. I hope there would be a 2nd season. Yee hah! And I hope I will be in it. Let my team be the 2nd all female team to win the race. Hahahaha! Girl POWER baby!

p/s: Amazing Race All Stars will premiere on Feb 19th AXN at 9pm. Also there’s Amazing Race Europe coming as well.

Photos courtesy of Amazing Race Asia-AXN.

• Reply Mo-C February 2, 2007 at 2:27 pm

:party: yeah me, enjoying it very much!!
    I’m expecting Andrew & Syeon to win, but yet, that’s their biggest lost.

:thinking: who will be your partner??

• Reply Gallivanter February 2, 2007 at 3:07 pm

Didn’t bother to watch the Amazing Race. Watched LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE, which I thought was a good movie. Still, I’m happy that the Malaysians won, they were my favorite!

• Reply Jemima February 2, 2007 at 3:10 pm

Malaysia Boleh!!! :dancing:

• Reply Wahlau.NET February 2, 2007 at 3:48 pm

half malaysia boleh..hehe

• Reply wuching February 2, 2007 at 6:46 pm

:talkingear:

• Reply sunflower February 2, 2007 at 6:56 pm

Never watch the show before but glad that Malaysian team won! Bravo, to Joe Jer and Zabrina. The POWER of Women! :applause: Congratulations!

• Reply Che-Cheh February 3, 2007 at 12:02 am

Mo-C, anyone can be my partner. 😀

Daniel, ahh good for you.

Jemima, yes! :party:

Wahlau.NET, hahaha :laughing:

Wuching, :beat_up: :devil:

Sunflower, you should watch next time. Perhaps you can start with Amazing Race All Stars. 🙂

• Reply maxezz February 4, 2007 at 3:02 am

jo jer n zebrina… congratulations… :applause:
    i follow them from the first… they make me smile.. im so proud…i very happy for u guys… cant sleep well for ur victory! well they made it.. love jojer n zebrina!!!!

• Reply Che-Cheh February 4, 2007 at 10:41 pm

Maxezz, hey…wow you can’t sleep well? You must truly be their no.1 fan!

• Reply dreamcatcher February 5, 2007 at 7:23 am

not surprised with the results, expected half as much based on the earlier legs n spoilers… 😀

have this hunch that in future tars, teams are not allowed to hire taxi drivers for direction, heh!heh!

• Reply afterburner73 February 5, 2007 at 10:54 am

AMAZING RACE ASIA NEEDS IMPROVEMENT

First and foremost, congratulations to Zabrina Fernandez and Joe Jer Tee for winning the inaugural The Amazing Race Asia (TARA). You gals truly make us Malaysians proud!

I’ve been following TARA from the first episode and although it was a fairly good production (for a first time effort by AXN Asia), I still feel that something is lacking compared to the original US version hosted by Phil Keoghan which is now entering its 11th season (watch out for Amazing Race All-Stars soon).

Number one, I feel that TARA’s host, Allan Wu is trying a tad too hard to be like Phil Keoghan. Which should not be the case actually because Phil Keoghan is Phil Keoghan. Allan should just do it his own style. I’m fine with the American-accent, but don’t overdo it especially at each pit-stop where he purposely pauses for quite sometime before announcing to each couple that they are team number so and so.

Number two, why must Caucasians (mat sallehs) in the form of Andy and Laura (representing Thailand), Sandy and Francesca (representing Hong Kong) and Howard Bicknell (the other half of team Sahran-Howard representing Sri Lanka) be allowed to participate in the race? To me, it is so pathetic that Thailand, Hong Kong and Sri Lanka have to rely on westerners to compete in TARA. Don’t tell me there aren’t enough bona fide Thais, Honkies and Ceylonese whom are competitive enough to enter the race? Some may argue that the mat sallehs presence are valid as they are permanent residents or perhaps even citizens of those countries, but come on, in this day and age, must we still rely on the whites? We had better make sure this would not happen to Malaysian teams competing in future TARA editions (if they even decide to do season 2 for starters). At least both our teams were represented by true “born and bred in Malaysia”. Well, almost, because Syeon Park of Team Andrew and Syeon is actually an Australian of Korean descent. Since I’ve mentioned her, a word of caution – Syeon had better watched what she said about Malaysia, the country she was representing. I’m sure she offended a lot of Malaysians with her feisty and snobbish remark – “I was hoping for someplace more exotic” when they discovered they had to fly to KL from Dubai in the final episode last Thursday night. We don’t need people like this representing our country. Their allegiance is questionable. Enough said.

Number three, I strongly feel that TARA should adopt the original US version style of not having an airline as one of the official sponsors. I have nothing against Air Asia but because the low-cost carrier is the official airline for the race, participants have no choice but to fly on Air Asia in most legs of the race. Now where is the fun and suspense in that? In future seasons (if any), participants should have the freedom of choosing any airline which would give them the better advantage in the race. An obvious scenario was when all teams managed to get on the same Air Asia flight from KL to Jakarta on Episode 2. It’s like everything was already fixed and staged.

And last but not least, as much as AXN Asia tries to deny it, I feel that TARA is too Singapore-centric. The host is from Singapore and most of the international sponsors of the race are based in the island republic. Not suprising as AXN Asia is also based in Singapore. You even have ridiculous legs in Singapore (like flying all the way from Sydney, Australia to a Caltex service station in Singapore just to wash cars before being awarded the next clue). Just for the sake of having Singapore in the programme too. Boring! I mean, of course you can feature Singapore, but let the teams do more challenging tasks there.

Well, whatever it is, congratulations again to Zabrina and Joe Jer. You truly deserve to win the race because you functioned well as team. It’s not really about speed, strategy or strength, it’s about working together and communicating well. And of course, less fighting with each other which led to the failure of the other teams.

• Reply Che-Cheh February 5, 2007 at 10:53 pm

Dreamcatcher, nah they won’t forfeit the ‘taxi driver navigation’ luxury.

Afterburner73, hello! Yes I agree about Allan Wu trying too hard. Been ranting about it in my other TARA posts. :laughing:

Oh yeah when I first found out who all the 10 teams are I was really horrified. Period.

• Reply shinobi February 11, 2007 at 10:27 am

yea joe jer and zabrina won…
    go go malaysia..