I first heard about oil cleansing method circa 2010/11 from a Korean TV program called Vitamin (from KBS). Little did I know at that time that it would change the way I cleanse my face.
Never heard of oil cleansing method? Plainly explain, it’s about using oil instead of regular cleanser to clean the face. Yes, O.I.L!!!
Around 2012, I started reading up more about OCM (oil cleansing method) from blogs. Feeling confident, I started my very first OCM on 21st September 2012. Reason I started with OCM was because I wanted to combat breakouts and large pores. When I first started, I did the OCM almost everyday (about 5 days in a week). My pores got smaller with lesser breakouts. Then I became lazy and only did the OCM about twice in a week. The rest of the time, I use my regular cleanser. As you can guess, my pores became larger again. 🙁
Here’s my OCM ritual with easy step by step:
I use coconut oil since it’s easily available in Malaysia. I bought this bottle at a sundry shop for only RM4.30. It’s from India with 100% pure coconut oil. For face towel, I use a small handkerchief and I rely on my electric shower to supply me with hot and cold water.
1. Pour a small amount of coconut oil (about 1.5~2cm in diameter) into the palm.
2. Rub the oil between the palms to warm it and apply all over the face and neck to remove dirt. For the face, massage in circular motion while for the neck use the upward motion like you would when using moisturizer. Remember the side and back of your neck too. You can also remove makeup via OCM. I’m not sure how effective it is as I don’t wear makeup.
3. Soak the face towel with hot water. Wring dry the towel and cover the face with the hot towel to open up the pores. Do this twice.
4. Soak the face towel in hot water again and wring dry. Wipe the oil away gently from your face and neck. Repeat step 4 for 3 or 4 more times.
5. Finally, splash the face and neck with cold water to close the pores.
Note 1: Don’t worry if your face and neck are still a little oily. They’re good oil for the skin.
Note 2: I prefer using small face towel/handkerchief. They are easier to manage and wash afterwards.
It’s been 2 years now (Nov 2014) since I started OCM. I’m back to using OCM about 5 days in a week. My wish of having smaller pores are fulfilled with OCM but they are still visible. Oh how I wish my pores aren’t visible at all. As for pimples, I still get them particularly during that time of the month. So I can say that OCM doesn’t help me in combating breakouts but it did lessen the frequency. Another plus point is that my face is now more hydrated.
Updated April 2017:
After writing this post back in November 2014, I stopped doing OCM and began my experiment on Origins products again. I was on it for 2 years and 3~4 months. The results weren’t satisfactory. Hence I began my OCM journey again on 7th Mar 2017. I don’t do OCM 7 days a week. My routine: 3 to 5 days on OCM and the remaining days on organic cleanser by Sukin (foaming facial cleanser). Happy to say that my pores have reduces in size (again). I still have breakouts and white+black heads but they’re lesser. Also I now also do OCM on my neck as well. 😉
When is the best time to do OCM?
For me, it’s right before I take bath in the afternoon or evening.
Between 2012-2014, I do OCM while showering (yeah, stark naked). I find that I don’t really like incorporating it during shower because it sort of cut my showering flow (LOL), so when I restarted OCM in 2017, I do it right before showering (when I’m still clothed).
Have you tried oil cleansing method? How do you find your skin with this method? Do you like it?