F1, Sports

My Grandstand Experience At 2008 F1 Malaysian GP

First, I would like to apologies for telling you that I will get to visit the pit lane. Actually takda la. Because I was too excited, I read the wrong info. So sorry. Opps

Over the past 10 years since F1 came to our shore, I’ve been to Sepang 5 times. Of this 5 times, 4 have been on grass, cheapest ticket was RM50 and the highest I’ve spent was RM300 and the luckiest I’ve got was winning 2 grandstand tickets from Toyota for yesterday’s race which cost RM1,100/ticket (turquoise).

For me, the best F1 experience was my first time there at 2000. Everything was new to me so everything is HUGE. I even visited the grandstand in 2000. Yes everyone can go in after the race (not sure now). So coming to yesterday’s race, I wasn’t that excited because I know what to expect.

Kimi Raikkonen winner of 2008 F1 Malaysian GP. Congratulations!

This is the view from Turquoise grandstand.
Left view. Towards the end of turn 1.

Front view. We sat right in front of Toyota’s pit.

Right view. Wish I’m from that area. That’s where the cars are lined-up before the race, chequered flag area, podium area and of course Ferrari’s camp.

Aiyoo so far away. Cannot see la.

All in all it was a pleasant experience. Though the crowd at my area wasn’t that cool. Not much cheering. I think they’re afraid to cheer for their favourite team since they’re wearing a Toyota shirt. 😛

I didn’t know I missed the roaring sound of a F1 car so much until I was there. ROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!! 💓 Plus the engine sound is different from when they have traction control. To those who have always been a TV spectator, you should give F1 circuit a visit. The sound is so much different. So umphhh!

Thank You TOYOTA for everything!!!

Compared to sitting on a grandstand to hill stand area (grass area), I didn’t feel that clueless but there is still some because the large TV screen is actually quite small and the audio wasn’t working at our area. I have to wince my eyes just to read the drivers position from the ‘position tower’.

And why not set up a few TV screens over at the hill stand area (grassland hahaha)? Don’t we deserve better understanding of the race even though we’re paying lesser than those big guns from grandstand?

Oh and I came back with a stupid tan on my face.

And the next time I’m going to Sepang to watch F1, it must be a corporate ticket whereby most probably la we’re allowed to walk along the pit lane. Paddock Club ma. Hahaha. But how to get ar?

And I welcome Sepang night race with open arms. Fight with Singapore!

p/s: Moz please tell me who you shake hands with.

• Reply hcfoo March 24, 2008 at 4:21 pm

Nice uniform wor… if KL is going to organise the night race, I I’ll definitely go and watch liao.

• Reply Jason March 24, 2008 at 4:56 pm

So nice. Yes, the sound of the roaring engines is really different from the TVs. Seen them live before, damn nice.

• Reply Dawn March 24, 2008 at 10:36 pm

And the smell of gasoline too adds the umph to a live race. I will definitely go see a live race if I can.

• Reply lex March 25, 2008 at 2:03 am

fuuyoohh super fun eh?

i do KNOW how to get hold of the paddock club passes. hehe… you know me rite, i always got lubangs. haha

and why do I see shahrukh khan’s advert on your blog?! >.

• Reply dreamcatcher March 25, 2008 at 9:58 am

that’s a good view of the pit lane. opportunity too to spy on celebrities down there. was the sound bearable? i do know that grandstand spectators received more expensive earplugs than other stands, heh! heh! 🙂

• Reply wuching March 25, 2008 at 10:41 am

so jeles lah I! :not_listening:

• Reply keeyit March 25, 2008 at 11:18 am

You went there for 5 times !! I never been to Sepang lol.. Good experience for you 😀

• Reply MonkeyWong March 25, 2008 at 2:26 pm

Why I didn’t see you on TV ler 😀

• Reply Neo March 25, 2008 at 5:02 pm

I haven’t even been to Sepang once, when you wanna bring me there?

• Reply Bengbeng March 25, 2008 at 9:20 pm

yr life is so exciting wuah

• Reply Lob March 26, 2008 at 10:04 am

Wei, I am still waiting the story you promise to tell last time. Now its the time , right?

• Reply Che-Cheh March 26, 2008 at 11:32 am

Hcfoo, ya the shirt is nice. The night race will be cooling but I think the jam will be horrendous. Hahaha

Jason, oh yeah so umphhh!

Dawn, over here we can only smell the tire and the yuccky break disc smell.

Lex, wah really? Then why you never ask for the pass. Aisehh…who knows you might see Shah Rukh Khan there wuahahaha…just joking.

Dreamcatcher, no free earplugs. Must buy.

Wuching, hehehe

Keeyit, go next year la. 🙂

MonkeyWong, because I’m not that hot lor

Neo, You’ve been to so many places except Sepang. Next year you must go la.

Bengbeng, no lah..my life is dull and boring. :worried

Lob, sabar my friend. When the time is right.

• Reply Lex March 26, 2008 at 7:27 pm

LOL… I dont want to meet fugly man! lol

I got it last year and I met Raikkonen! So icyyy lahh that guy! LOL

• Reply pacco March 26, 2008 at 11:09 pm

i’ve been at sepang once to watch A1….got free grandstand ticket and i can sit wherever i like…can change place summore…coz not many ppl mah…LoL

so i juz assume A1 n F1 sounds will be almost the same…ear piercing and wearing ear muff can’t differentiate much guah….

• Reply narrowband March 27, 2008 at 7:37 am

OMGOMG!! U got grandstand seat!!! That’s exactly the ticket that Satkuru got from Toyota last time, I remember. He sat at the same place, few seasons back – while I was seated at the end of Turn 1, looking down the grids. But this year I was not in Malaysia for the F1… 🙁 I will go for the one in Singapore to compensate!!!

I remember the sound of F1 traction control can even rock the ground (vibrations felt). Memang terlampau loud… Have to wear earplugs!

• Reply jam March 27, 2008 at 11:17 am

So envy of you! :hehe:

• Reply Che-Cheh March 27, 2008 at 1:46 pm

Lex, oh yeah now I remember! Oklah I know how much you hate that fugly man.

Pacco, wah can switch place? so nice…aiseh!!! No, F1 sound is a lot louder.

Narrowband, wah going to Singapore one? gulpss exchange rate expensive. hehehe. Now without traction control the sound is a little bit different.