Entertainment

花より男子 Hana Yori Dango (Japanese Manga) – Review

Meteor Garden I, II, Hana Yori Dango trilogy and Boys Over Flowers (Korean drama) (’em being listed in chronology order) were adapted from the famous Japanese shojo manga series, 花より男子 Hana Yori Dango (literally being translated as Dumplings Over Flowers) or Boys Over Flowers. This manga series was written by Yoko Kamio, running from October 1992 to September 2003 + 2008 and spanning 37 volumes in total plus a special one-shot story in July 2006.

Hana Yori Dango Volume 1 cover.

I’m ‘kinda’ thankful I got to know this manga only this year. Why? Imagined I have to wait 11 years to read the complete series!!! (not including vol. 37)

Makino Tsukushi and F4.

For 3 weeks (more or so) I spent my free time reading a total of 241 chapters (36 volumes) of Hana Yori Dango and when it was over I feel kinda sad coz I wanted MORE!!! That was why I hunted down the special one-short story so furiously after that. Unfortunately the one short story was a little let down for me because there was no closure. It was left hanging like that. Ouch.

Hana Yori Dango Volume 36 cover.

All in all, Hana Yori Dango manga was a total enjoyment. It was emotional in the mid parts and sweet towards the end. I laughed and I even shed some tears. I’m totally blown away by this manga. Magnifico! In fact I love this manga more than the 2 dramas adaptation (BOF and HYD which I have watched). The drawings at the beginning of the chapters as pointed out by many were nothing to be desired about (I thought the drawings were ok actually… not a big hindrance). In terms of characters development, plots and flows… it was perfect. Some of you may not have the same views as me and I respect you.

There was a time in my life where I think like how the manga characters talk. LOL I even dreamed of Domyoji in my sleep. If you must know, Domyoji in this manga is way way way WAY WAY more cooler, silly, sweet and charismatic than Matsumoto Jun and Lee Min Ho put together. Really man!!! Of course that’s just probably me. Hahaha

Hana Yori Dango Volume 37 cover.

Initially I thought the total 37 volumes as mentioned in wiki includes the 2006 one-shot story. Then just when I was finishing this post up, I found out there really was a special 37th volume. Hahaha silly me. Finding an English translated version of the 37th volume was even harder (took me almost half day). At last I found it by googling the name “Ore no Hanashi wo Shiyouka” instead of “Hana Yori Dango Volume 37”. Ore no Hanashi wo Shiyouka (俺の話をしようか) means Shall We Speak About Me? is the title of volume 37. Volume 37 is about Rui’s perspective and closure. Sweet in the end.

Tsukasa encouraging Tsukushi.

Two (out of many) of my favorite quotes from Hana Yori Dango manga:
“Tsukushi is a weed. Even if it’s stepped on or kicked, it’s a strong plant that always springs back.”

“Wear good shoes. And those shoes will take you to good places.”

I had to re-read some chapters of HYD again just to freshen up my memories for the sake of this post. What I know next – I read more and more. Took me some will power to stop man. Arggh so addictive. I guess I’m going to re-read HYD manga one of these days.

Girls and ladies, if you like romantic story then you should give this manga a try. Seriously! Seriously! Seriously!

And with that I conclude my ‘fever’ for anything that has to do with Hana Yori Dango… for now. (I might go for the anime next).

Below are some links to help you kick start your HYD fever!

For online read:
1. 7manga’s Hana Yori Dango manga (english translated) – I read this. Site no longer available.
2. Spectrum Nexus’ Hana Yori Dango manga (english translated)
3. Mangareader’s Hana Yori Dango manga (english translated) (it’s missing chapter 241. The special one-short story was named as chapter 241)
4. Manga Fox’s Ore no Hanashi wo Shiyouka (english translated) Volume 37 of Hana Yori Dango

No. 1-3 consist of volume 1 to volume 36.

p/s: Thanks to those who scanned, translated, proofed read the manga and bring it to the online world.

Photos from various sources.

• Reply Dawn July 28, 2011 at 11:34 pm

OMG, girl, you are seriously a manga addict. Geng! When my girlfriend in Ipoh told me she is addicted to Japanese anime, i told her she is one of a kind. I guess one has to watch it once and form his/her opinion. 😀

• Reply Che-Cheh July 29, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Not yet a manga addict. HYD addict yes. Keke This is the only Jap manga I’ve ever read. So anime is good eh. I should go find HYD anime then. Haha

• Reply jam July 29, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Not a fan for this story. Had hardly seen a single episode of Taiwan version when it was first released a few years ago.

• Reply Che-Cheh July 29, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Yeah not all will like it. This is after all a shojo manga targeted for female audience around age 10 to 18. Though I’m way way beyond that age liao. Hahaha

• Reply Kleio July 29, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Che-Cheh, it’s me Muse! Kleio da Muse 🙂 It has been so long ne. Hisashiburi desu ne.

I was so pleasant surprised to have stumbled upon this post of yours. Cos I am also currently very absorbed into this Hana Yori Dango story. Had just finised the Jdrama and now jumping onto its Kdrama version. Am also planning to watch it’s Taiwanese version (Meteor Garden). As for the manga, I am now up to Vol. 27 😀 Hehe. I think I am going crazy too.

Just like you, I shed some tears and laugh alot at my PC screen. Plus, I was like grinning non-stop the whole time when I was reading it. Gosh!

Hope you have been well dear.

• Reply Che-Cheh July 30, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Hi Kleio, yeah it’s been a long time. I’m managing. Life is tough right? Haha
      Hope you’re well.

Tell me if the Taiwanese version is good and worth it or not later ya. So you like the manga ya. You just increase my desire to re-read this manga all over again. Haha

Btw how did you get into watching the J.drama and manga in the first place?

• Reply Kleio July 31, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Sure will let you know if the Taiwanese version is good if I really get around to actually watched it 🙂 Cos now have yet watch the Korean one. Hehe

Well, I really love to read manga alot and then one day, thought it’s about time I read this famous manga. And, I am hooked! And tat prompt me to look for the drama too since my sis-in-law was like raving about it so much. LOL. But I just got to know tat she only watched the korean version. I was like urging her to watch the Japanese version. Ahahaha

Have you watched and read Kimi Wa Petto too. It was also very good.

It’s really nice catching up with you here and finding another person who appreciate this stuff too. 😀

• Reply Che-Cheh August 2, 2011 at 9:02 am

Hehe ‘man man lei’ (slow-slow). Ohhh so that’s your story.

Never heard of Kimi Wa Petto… so I googled the name. The English name “You’re My Pet” I’ve heard it before because there is going to be a movie coming out in Korea called “You’re My Pet”. I believe the story is the same. Gonna check the drama and manga out but not so soon. Quite busy lately.

Yes same here. I finally found someone who are in the same frequency as me about this subject. Haha 🙂

• Reply rubyotero August 16, 2011 at 11:12 pm

im also fan if this manga series, back when i was in fresh from college, F4 Meteor Garden is very famous, and that was my sister fell in love to manga and k pop…

• Reply Che-Cheh August 17, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Wow really? Hi-5 gal!
      Have you watched the Japanese and Korean drama version?

• Reply Pamela Maraon September 3, 2011 at 9:16 pm

i couldn’t agree more with you xD especially when u said Tsukasa in the manga is waaayyy cooler than any other Tsukasa version! and also the story in the manga is the best, u really could tell a huge difference in the remakes..of course nobody beats the original…and as expected from the best selling shoujo manga in history! hands down to Kamio Yoko-san xD fangirling to the highest level! ahaha <3

• Reply Che-Cheh September 4, 2011 at 1:19 am

Hi-5 girl! Yay 🙂

• Reply jenny January 4, 2012 at 7:03 am

omg i love this.the manga is great. but between the series adaptation of taiwan, japan and korea i would definitely vote for taiwan. damn that was the best series i ever watch it got so emotional that i would cry myself to sleep lol kinda pathetic. and funny that like you even in my dreams i see them

• Reply Che-Cheh January 4, 2012 at 10:16 am

Hi Jenny, I’ve yet to re-read the manga. Someday!
      Hope to get the chance to watch the Taiwan version. Guess we’re too engrossed in the manga/series. Haha 😉

• Reply Rich92 March 5, 2012 at 1:35 am