Buying Herbs @ Sungai Buloh

by Che-Cheh on August 24, 2011 19,710 views

in Lifestyle

So what was our mission going to Sungai Buloh? Buying herbs!

A friend recommended a nursery to us that also sell herbs. It didn’t take long to locate the place as the ‘Herbal Garden’ signage is just by the road. We did stopped at a few other nurseries just to have a look-see. But we bought everything including some other plants from this nursery. Easy ma.

Stevia Sugar Leaf Daun Manis

This is Stevia @ RM10.00. It’s also called sugar leaf or daun manis in Malay.
A natural sweetener.

Rosemary

Of course my eyes lit up when I saw my favorite Rosemary. :)

Rosemary

I bought one for RM8.00. Hopefully my new rosemary will survive. This time I planted them in a pot instead on the ground coz I learn they need proper drainage.

Wild Betel Leaf Daun Kadok

Wild betel leaf (daun kadok/sirih). Ahh saw this at my neighbor’s house. Never knew it was sirih. Kekeke This is Thai basil plant and not wild betel leaf as pointed out by a reader.

Pegaga

Pegaga.

Sage

Sage @ RM10.50.

Sweet Basil

Sweet basil. I also bought this for RM10.00.
Wanna know why their sweet basil looks so healthy & fatty? They feed the basil with baja tahi ayam (chicken poop). Hehe eh in processed form la.

Btw, I just found (googling) why those basil I planted previously never survived me. Apparently once basil flowered, it will stop growing and die. To stop that just pinch off the flower and they will continue to grow leaves.

Other herbs available here are thyme, parsely, marjoram, mint (those that I remember). I actually wanted to buy all types of herbs back but I guess it’s better to take it slowly… learn planting rosemary and basil before going for other herbs.

Herbs Nursery @ Sungai Buloh, Selangor

Address (branch):
Sun Beauty Home & Landscaping Trading Sdn Bhd
Lot 43, Kebun Bunga Depan Industri Sungai Buloh,
Batu 16, Sungai Buloh, 47000, Selangor.
H/p: 016-9020 672

The main nursery is at:
No. 1, Kebun Bunga Depan Kawasan Perindustrian Sri Damansara,
Jalan Kepong-Kuala Selangor, 52200 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel: 03-6277 0626

If you know other nursery selling herbs at Sungai Buloh or Klang Valley, kindly share.

{ 30 comments… read them below or add one }

foongpc August 25, 2011 at 12:06 am

How do you eat those Stevia leaves?

Che-Cheh August 25, 2011 at 8:34 pm

You can add the fresh Stevia leaves to drinks or dried it and make into powder. Heard that it’s very sweet.

Adino August 25, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Wow I always thought herbs only can be grown in western countries, never knew it can be found here! Gonna check with my wife if she’s interested and we’ll make a trip to get some hehe.

Che-Cheh August 25, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I know we can find it here… just that a bit susah to find who sell. But now we know. :) Another place selling herbs is at Cameron Highlands. I hunted for it last time but couldn’t find any. Bought a rosemary at Ikano during CNY time, the seller is from Cameron Highlands but they didn’t give me address only say it’s near to Simpang Pulai.

Dawn August 25, 2011 at 9:43 pm

A lot of folks over here are going for Stevia now instead of Equal or other artificial sweeterners, but stevia darn expensive. Maybe I should get the plant and dry the leaves and grind them myself! I love rosemary herb and sage too. Great on chicken!

Che-Cheh August 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Yeah get the plant and diy better. :)
I must roast chicken with rosemary one day. Haha

keeyit August 26, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I went to the similar herbs farm at seremban before. They said herbs are good for health. Also bought some herbs from them too.

They also mentioned one recipe is to cook the “bunga kertas” with eggs. hehehe… wanna try?

Che-Cheh August 26, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I read somewhere mentioned planting herbs is good because they have good chi. Oh I think I’ve read in your blog about eating bunga kertas if I’m not mistaken. Ya wanna try. Got recipe? Is it delicious? What is it good for? I check the web but no mention of eating bunga kertas.

Jaime August 28, 2011 at 4:49 pm

so glad I found this site! Been wanting to plant some herbs especially daun kaduk. Looks a bit different on your photo or maybe bcoz it’s a young plant. The Village Grocer in Sunway Giza also sells herbs by the pots (abt RM5-6 per pot) but the ones in Sg Buloh look bigger. Been trying to propagate screwpine leaves but unsuccessful so far. Only managed to grow chilli plants and lemongrass.

Che-Cheh August 28, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Hi Jaime, glad I can help. :)
My neighbor’s daun kaduk is also about this size. Maybe the one you’re looking for is another species. I bought a potted herb (forgot which one) from Jaya Grocer, Empire Shopping Gallery but it didn’t last long. Yup they are small compared to the ones in Sungai Buloh. Hmm I guess as long as you have screwpine roots it’s easy to propagate. I failed at chili plants. They are always too thin. I give up. Haven’t try planting lemongrass.

philters September 2, 2011 at 12:33 pm

what a great idea! i’ve never had a herb garden before and now sound about time to experiement :)

Che-Cheh September 4, 2011 at 12:01 am

Yeah go and experiment. I’m enjoying it. Haha

Pierre September 4, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Lovely herbs spot. Some of which I am envious to get to know more.

Che-Cheh September 5, 2011 at 10:15 am

I read in an online article that there’s an old man with very good knowledge of herbs in Sungai Buloh. Wish he’s still open for business. His nursery has close down.

Shar August 14, 2012 at 8:43 am

Nice basil, I’m also looking for that variety..Sweet basil is it?..I’ve got one of the Thai variety. I’m looking for oregano? Does that place have those..

Che-Cheh August 14, 2012 at 10:59 am

Hi Shar, yup sweet basil. Is the Thai variety purple in color?

I think this place doesn’t have oregano when I was there. They might have it now. You can also check this 2 places out with oregano: http://che-cheh.com/lifestyle/herbs-hunting-plants-photos-sungai-buloh/

kevin September 14, 2012 at 8:14 pm

You can get it in Taman Paramount, PJ. Opposite of Giants, there is a nursery.

Che-Cheh September 14, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Hi Kevin, I didn’t know the nursery sell herbs. Thanks for the info. :)

kevin September 15, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Bought myself a pot of rosemary, thyme and basil….hope it can grow healthy. They have sage, mint and oregano too.

Che-Cheh September 15, 2012 at 9:20 pm

How’s the pricing compared to Sungai Buloh ones (as I listed in this post) ?

kevin September 18, 2012 at 3:58 pm

the rosemary and thyme are at RM11 and basil is RM8…think slightly higher than in SG Buloh.

Che-Cheh September 18, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Hmmm if you include petrol $$ to sungai buloh into the calculation, I guess in the end it’s more or less the same. :)

presa1200 October 31, 2012 at 7:41 pm

isn’t it the Wild betel leaf or daun sirih actually Thai basil, selasih or 九层塔? btw how much is the pegaga per pot? thanks

Che-Cheh October 31, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Hmm, I don’t think wild betel leaf is Thai basil. Sorry I dunno how much is the pegaga pot.

kevin January 26, 2013 at 11:46 am

aisey, my thyme and basil died…left Rosemary and doesn’t look good too. wonder what went wrong? apparently the thyme and basil were doing great…then suddenly started to dried up and just died.

I asked the sifu in the nursery, was told cos raining season and if your plant you left it outside, then you are actually drowining them. This is the reason they died.

Might want to get another basil…

Che-Cheh January 27, 2013 at 4:48 am

Hi Kevin, my thyme also died. No idea why. It dried up just like yours even though I fed it lots of water.

I have very good luck with basil. Been planting lots of basil plants. Once it started to flower, the basil leaves will usually shrink. So before that I will do cuttings and plant them in a new pot. My basil pots are out in the open.

My rosemary pot is doing good too but not as great as basil. I’ve tried to propagate it too and have been successful. I have a lavender plant which is doing quite okay but is showing some browning sign.

So far no luck with thyme, oregano, mint and dill. All dried up. LOL

Ira May 19, 2013 at 4:34 am

Do u know what sage leave is called in Malay? i tried to translate it it become bijaksana @_@

Che-Cheh May 19, 2013 at 11:10 am

Hi Ira, I don’t know the name for Malay but I google for it. One say it’s called Sa’ga. Not sure how true this is.

Marcus July 28, 2013 at 8:48 am

Thanks for sharing info on where to buy herbs :)

They wrongly tagged the Thai basil as wild betel leaf though…

Che-Cheh July 28, 2013 at 9:34 am